Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Savory Sweet Potato Bites

As the weather cools, I find myself craving sweet potatoes more than usual. I love how simple they are to make delicious and keep nutritious! If I am in the mood for a sweet side, I bake them in the oven and top them with the traditional brown sugar and cinnamon. They are also tasty cut into wedges and seasoned with olive oil, basil, oregano, and salt; then baked for 30 minutes or until fork tender. But when I need a cheesy snack, I turn to "Savory Sweet Potato Bites"...try it out and let me know what you think!


Savory Sweet Potato Bites

Yield: 12

Ingredients:
2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and finely grated
2 egg whites
1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (or your favorite hard, sharp cheese, i.e.: Parmesan or Pecorino)
1 tsp fresh thyme
¼ tsp black pepper
½ tsp salt

Directions:
In a large bowl, mix together above ingredients.


Scoop out mixture into large mounds (I used an ice cream scoop to achieve equal parts). 


Flatten in between the palms of your hands and lay gently on parchment lined baking sheet.


Bake at 425 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until edges are crispy. 
Let cool about 5 minutes before removing from pan. 

 

Enjoy plain or with your favorite dip... 
I like nonfat Greek yogurt seasoned with a pinch of salt and onion powder. 


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment