Thursday, November 8, 2012

Homemade Pasta...any way you want it!


When I think of my favorite foods, my mind automatically goes to bread and pasta. Not only do I love to eat them, I love to make them! Hence I would like to share with you my favorite pasta recipe (bread recipe at a later date). My first time making pasta from scratch, I was a bit nervous, but I quickly realized just how easy and creative it can be. You don't need a pasta machine or fancy gadgets, just an adventurous spirit and willingness to become one with your food : ) Have fun!

Fresh Pasta

Yield: 2 servings

Fresh Pasta Recipe- 

100 grams of flour (One scant cup), plus more for dusting
1 tsp salt
1 egg
1 tsp olive oil




Whisk together flour and salt. Mound onto counter or into a large mixing bowl. Make a “well” in the center of the flour mixture and add the egg and oil.


Using a fork, gently beat the egg/oil, but be careful not to disturb the well. Slowly incorporate the flour into the egg mixture, stirring the flour in from the sides of the well and working outwards.
I like to use a bench scraper to continue to incorporate the flour mixture into the egg mixture. 
Once a dough begins to form, lightly dust work surface and begin to knead dough about 5-10 minutes. 


End result should be smooth and flexible, but not sticky.
Gather dough into a ball and cover with plastic wrap. 
Allow dough to rest for 30 minutes to 1 hour at room temp.




If you don’t have a pasta machine, just use a rolling pin. Cut the dough in half with a bench scraper. 
Keep extra dough covered with plastic while working with the other piece. 
On a lightly floured surface, flatten the piece of dough into a rough square. 
With a rolling pin, begin to roll dough to desired thickness (about 1/16th of an inch). 



Now the really fun part! Cut into desired shapes...

1. Ravioli:

*Sweet Potato Filling- 2 sweet potatoes (roast, remove skins, and mash), 
1 Tbsp olive oil, 2 Tbsp brown sugar, 2 Tbsp butter (room temp.), 1 tsp salt





                    Square shape                                                                                  

or


Circle shape





2. Papparadelle (translated "to gobble up" in Italian). It is a great way to use up scraps: 

 

3. Farfalle (bow ties):



Place finished product onto a floured baking sheet pan and toss with flour to prevent sticking.


Cook immediately (boil in salted water 5-7 minutes) or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 1 hour before cooking.

Toss pasta with a sauce of your choice and serve immediately!

I chose to simply toss in olive oil and garnish with Parmigiano Reggiano, as I wanted the flavor of my fresh pasta to shine through.  

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Looks wonderful Regina! Thanks for sharing. I want to make homemade ravioli with the sweet potato stuffing; I've never stuffed with that. Makes my mouth water :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Celia! It is sweet and savory all at the same time! Let me know how it turns out for you : )

      Delete
  2. I've never made homemade pasta and you make it look so easy! That ravioli with sweet potato looks delicious, I definitely want to try it out soon! Love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete