Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Cauliflower Pizza Crust


Today I found myself wondering the produce aisles of my local grocery store admiring the vibrant colors that lined the shelves. One of the few white vegetable in the myriad of colors was the lonely cauliflower. Other neighboring vegetables seemed to boast of their bright orange, red, and purple exteriors! But little do they know that cauliflower is just as packed with vitamins and minerals….It is a great source of fiber, vitamin K and C, as well as folate. It is also rich in phytochemicals and antioxidants!

To prove cauliflower is truly a vegetable star, I am sharing with you a recipe that shows off how versatile and delicious this veg can be!

Cauliflower Pizza Crust
Ingredients:

1 cup cooked, riced* cauliflower
1 egg, beaten
1 cup low moisture, part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 tsp dried oregano
½ tsp salt
Marinara sauce 
Toppings of your choice

*Cook, cool, and shred cauliflower with a potato ricer or mini chopper.

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray. Combine cauliflower, egg, mozzarella, oregano, and salt. Press evenly on the pan. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Run a knife along the edge to loosen crust. 

Steamed cauliflower

 
Potato Ricer

Riced cauliflower

Cauliflower mixture 

 Pressed onto greased pan

 Just out of the oven

2. Top with your favorite toppings. 



 
I sauteed orange peppers, mushrooms, spinach, green onion, and garlic.

For extra protein I added Italian chicken sausage (with sun dried tomatoes)

Sausage out of casing and crumbled

 Home made marinara sauce

3. Let the assembling begin...



4. Place under a broiler until cheese is melted. 


5. Cool slightly, cut, and enjoy!

 

3 comments:

  1. Looks good! I bet Nathan loves to try all these. =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is the consistency of the crust after baking?

    I'm going to have to convince Ray that him and I NEED to make this. I have to try it.

    ReplyDelete