Saturday, January 5, 2013

Chocolate Chip Brownie Cookies


Happy New Year everyone! I hope your holiday was filled with smiles and laughs with family and friends.  Mine definitely was!

January is officially here and the decorations are put away until next year, but I am not ready to let go of Christmas just yet! So tonight I found myself in my kitchen (with Christmas carols humming in the background), baking Christmas cookies.

The cookie recipe I want to share with you holds a special place in my recipe box. This is not only because chocolate is the primary ingredient, but also because it brings back fond memories of my first attempts at recipe development in my mom’s kitchen. 

These cookies started out as brownies, but not just any brownies- this was my mom's special family recipe. After some test kitchen experimentation, I turned it into a COOKIE. Success!

Chocolate Chip Brownie Cookies
Yields 4 dozen

2 sticks of butter, softened
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla 
3/4 cups of sugar
3/4 cup of brown sugar, not packed
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Optional garnish- Peanut butter M&M's 
(you actually will need an entire bag- 48 for the cookies and the rest for snacking purposes)

Directions- 

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 

In a large bowl- beat together softened butter, eggs, vanilla, and both sugars. 

In a medium bowl- whisk together salt, baking soda, flour, and cocoa.

Gradually beat dry ingredients into wet ingredients on a low speed until well blended.
















Stir in chocolate chips. 


Scoop by round teaspoons onto parchment paper lined baking sheet. . 

Since I am attempting to hold onto Christmas as long as possible, I garnished each cookie with red and green peanut butter M&M’s. But feel free to keep them plain or sprinkle with powdered sugar once cooled.


Bake at 375 degrees for 8 minutes.


Now that I have finished my last batch of Christmas cookies, I can officially say goodbye to the holidays....and look ahead to 2013. New recipes to develop and share!


Hope you enjoy!!!

1 comment: